Friday, October 14, 2011

We're on the road!

We did not leave Tuesday, or Wednesday, or even Thursday.  Leaving Colorado included a few hiccups.  Some of the highlights -- the title had to go back to Utah due to errors in the way it was signed.  The check engine light came on again; the oxygen sensors needed to be replaced.  Craig discovered a leak in the window over the bed above the driver's area.  The temperature dropped and it started snowing, our dog had an open wound on her head.  Every day I was sure we'd leave the next.  Finally I stopped giving any estimates altogether.  We pulled out of our driveway a week ago today around 7 pm.

The orderly packing system I began with early in the week had completely deteriorated by Friday.  We were piling things on the beds and stowing things in the bathroom just to get going.  In preparation for the trip I've thought about how I don't need to stock up because we can stop at any time to get whatever supplies we need.  At some point, I forgot this wise idea.  Either that, or I'm the only person totally prepared for the paper napkin and lotion shortage which must be about to sweep the eastern seaboard.  I have a two foot long package of napkins, and three bottle of body lotion.  What was I thinking?  Even if it was as dry in Colorado, I wouldn't go through that much lotion in 2 months.

So, off we went, on a freezing, damp evening.  We had to be at a mattress store 45 minutes away, before they closed at 8:00.  We arrived at 7:45 and then realized the mattress did not fold and compress as much as we expected, and needed in order to get in into the bunk over the driver's area.  It was very cold, we were very hungry, and I was standing underneath my end of the queen mattress holding it up to the ceiling so Craig could maneuver it up to the bunk.  I didn't know how much longer I could hold up my end, and was thinking we were going to have to tell the saleslady this just wasn't going to work when Craig said, "Is it even right side up?"  It wasn't.  The saleslady says from outside the rv, "I saw that you had it upside down and tried to tell you, but you didn't hear me."  Not helpful.

A few minutes later, with the mattress right-side up, and us struggling to get it past the cabinets, I notice a man standing next to the saleslady while she gave a running commentary on our progress as we struggled with the mattress.  Next thing I know, the man hops into the rv to help!  The extra boost got the bed into the bunk.

Our first night sleeping in the rv was rainy and very windy, shaking the rv a bit, but the window didn't leak, and we were warm and dry.  Kansas is very flat.  There is a Wizard of Oz museum, but we went by it at night, so I have nothing to report on whether it's worth visiting.

We're headed to Gettysburg after a few days tinkering on the rv and visiting my grandparents.  More to come from Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment