Thursday, April 5, 2012

I forgot the plastic food, and the earthquake . . .

Because we're taking photos on different cameras, I forgot there were others which hadn't been downloaded yet.  So, a few final photos from Japan.  I feel better about moving on from the restroom info.  

On Sunday night in Tokyo there was a small earthquake.  It was between 10:30 and 11:00 pm, we were in bed on the 20th floor of the hotel, and we were literally shaken awake.  We waited, nothing more, no call to evacuate, Garvin and Craig fell back to sleep in minutes while I lay there wondering if the building was about to collapse on me.  Then I decided if it was there wasn't anything I could do and I eventually fell asleep.  We forgot to ask the next day, but the following day the people in front of us on the shuttle to the airport were pantomiming an earthquake so we asked and they said it was between a 3 and a 4.  It was enough.

Here is another sample of train food, chocolate covered pretzels, but Garvin informs me these are available at home.






 More shots of the food stalls in the department store basement.






And now for the plastic food.  This is a big deal in Japan, and a specialty industry -- the guidebook gives it mention.  At many restaurants there are outside displays of the dishes offered, only those dishes are plastic examples.  There's an area, and one street in particular, called Kitchen Goods Street on the tour map, which has every kitchen supply item you might need if you owned a restaurant, including displays of plastic food, which are not cheap.  One sushi piece -- $10.


This food below, all fake.



Garvin had just eaten shrimp for lunch which looked exactly like the ones on the left.




I thought you needed a closeup of this.  Still fake. 





1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to be catching up with your adventures! I've read all of Japan. Lots of whacky food for sure. Definitely a place I'd like to visit... I'm not so sure about Doug! I'll look forward to the next installment. Have safe travels!

    ReplyDelete