Monday, April 23, 2012

Viet Nam, Part 1

Hello!  All is well.  We've been busy taking bus trips and overnight trains, I had a bad cold, internet connections were not in air conditioned areas, that was a problem in super hot Bangkok . . . and then we were very busy chilling out for the past few days at the beach in Thailand.  We were not in Phuket, so we avoided the earthquakes.  We've been on the island of Koh Chang, but more on that later.  I have to get you caught up!

This is a shot on our first day in Ha Noi -- a crazy place, probably the noisiest place I've ever been.  People are constantly honking to let those ahead know there's someone behind them.  They are really good drivers, which is a good thing because it's madness here.  Very few traffic lights, more motor scooters than I can describe, cars, vans, taxis . . . and remember, constant honking.  I liked Ha Noi because it was so alive, and still exotic, but a little goes a long way.  I got hit in the rear by the side view mirror of a scooter on our first day.  My fault.  Moved one way, then another.  Poor guy didn't know what I was doing.  


We saw an amazing variety of objects being transported by scooter.  Numerous cases of beer, soda, mattresses, lumber -- incredible.


Our $6 dinner (for all 3), if it was even that expensive.  Pho, pronounced fa -- Vietnamese soup with noodles, beef or chicken and herbs, with various garnishes like limes, chili peppers, chili paste.  Quite tasty.




A street market -- I was amazed at the variety.  One store had baskets piled high with fresh ginger root.  Women carry any number of items in baskets like these around the city, hanging from the end of a long board they have on their shoulders.  They have to walk in this rolling gait in order to balance the heavy baskets.  I feel tired just watching them.  They work so hard and earn so little.





This ended up being a $10 photo, or a $10 bag of pineapple.  The woman beside me was carrying the baskets and came up asking if we wanted pineapple.  I said no; she took the baskets off, placed the wooden bar on my shoulder, put her hat on me, got her daughter to take a photo, gave me a bag of pineapple and then asked for money.  It was so fast we hardly knew what happened, but you can be sure we were more emphatic with our "no" the next time we were approached!




More things people carry on bikes

Various options for a seafood dinner had we wanted to point and have it cooked.






This is a floating village in Ha Long Bay, an area filled with thousands of the rock formations you see in the background.  These houses have no solid dock around them, but instead are surrounded by nets.  



Craig thought I should get close to the monkey.  I did not agree.





On our tour boat in Ha Long Bay.
More to come on the rest of our time in Viet Nam, and then Thailand.  We head back to Bangkok tomorrow and on to Hong Kong on Wednesday.

Since your life revolves around following our travels, Garvin would be thrilled if any of you wanted to read his blog.  No photos at this point, but amusing narration.  We'll be working on the editing.  His blog:  lifeandtimesoftheg.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment