Friday, September 30, 2011

Getting dragged a little

Garvin and I have been granted residency in Utah, because we're still here!

This morning I headed off to the DMV bright and early to get a temporary permit.  I left Garvin with instructions to finish packing up his things, strip our beds, and we'd leave shortly after I got back. There was no line at the DMV so I walked right up and handed the nice lady the title. She informed me the seller's father had not signed it in the right place and would have to sign it again. That meant a trip back down to Salt Lake.

Not what I expected to hear.

On the way to the DMV, the "Check Engine" light had come on.  This did not please me, but it went off after a bit, so I thought maybe the engine just needed to warm up.  When I left the DMV, the light came on again.  No matter how I looked at it, I was headed to Salt Lake.

The mechanic determined a wire on the new wiper washer pump had come loose.  An hour later I was heading across town to get the signature in the right place on the title.

Wouldn't you know, the engine light came back on, and the brakes were vibrating more than I thought normal, even for a large, heavy vehicle.  After getting the right signature, I went back to the mechanic.  By this time of course, the engine light had gone off, but he drove around the block and agreed with me about the brakes.

We now have new rotors and brake pads.

It was going to be several hours to do the work, and there was still the little matter of the DMV, being Friday and all.  Erin drove down and brought me back to Park City.  Her second trip to Salt Lake in 24 hours, as my personal chauffeur.

Back to the nice lady at the DMV.  She had me out of there in 5 minutes.  I now have a temporary permit allowing me to drive the RV to Colorado.  If we don't make it there by October 4th, well I'm not really sure what will happen, but it won't be good, on many levels.

Jeff, my new mechanic friend, thinks the engine light was on because of the loose wire on the pump.  They ran the motor, trying to get the light to come back on and it didn't, so hopefully he's right.

The good news -- we have new brakes, we were not on our way to Colorado when we realized we needed new brakes, we had another great day with family, my sister is still smiling -- really, it's all good news.

I'm not even saying what our departure plan is.  When we make it to Colorado, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment